Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-CA) has come up with a comprehensive proposal to withdraw our troops from Iraq. Her plan includes the following points:
- Withdraw all U.S. troops and military contractors from Iraq within six months from the date of enactment.
- Accelerate, during the six-month transition, training of a permanent Iraqi police force.
- Prohibit the continued funding, except for the redeployment of troops currently in Iraq, of combat troops to Iraq.
- Prohibit any permanent U.S. military bases in Iraq. (Despite official denials, bases are under construction, including one that includes a miniature golf course and a Pizza Hut).
- Authorize, if requested by the Iraqi government, U.S. support for an international stabilization force, which would stay no longer than two years.
- Prohibit U.S. participation in any long-term Iraqi oil production sharing agreements before the enactment by the Iraqi government of new regulations governing the industry.
- Authorize an array of non-military assistance in Iraq, including reconstruction of a public-health system; destruction of land mines, recovery of ancient relics; and distribution of compensatory damages for civilian casualties.
- Honor the sacrifice of our servicemen and women by providing full funding for every health-care treatment, and benefit that they are entitled to under current law.
Please write to your representatives and let them know that you support the Bring Our Troops Home and Sovereignty of Iraq Restoration Act!
Filed under: Uncategorized |